Licensing information

A large number of local authorities are now introducing mandatory licensing schemes for all rented properties within their borough.


Previously all HMO properties needed a licence to rent the property however, Newham, Barking & Dagenham and Waltham Forest have introduced minatory licensing for all properties and more and more boroughs are expected to introduce this over the coming years.


A licence needs to be paid for by the landlord and the local authority will generally need to inspect the property after an application has been received.

A landlord will need to ensure that the property meets the required standard and provide documents such as a gas safety certificate, electrical condition report and EPC and ensure these standards are maintained throughout the tenancy.


Nearly all properties let under our guaranteed rent scheme are exempt from the licensing scheme and we will notify the local authority of your behalf and submit an exemption form if required.


For more information please call 0208 983 4444 or email